quarta-feira, 21 de setembro de 2016

Canon T70 (1984)

Canon T70 (1984)
Esta fotografia é do exemplar que possuo

Características

The computer age was invitably found an in-route into SLR camera design - apart from affecting life-styles and the world we live in. And Canon foresees that as early as 1976 when the Canon AE-1 was introduced to the world. In 1984, a revolutionary new Canon camera was launched and it was changing the way we look at camera and photography. That camera was the Canon T70 model.

Like today's computers, the second model of the Canon T series was designed to perform a multitude of tasks with split-second response and unfailing accuracy.

Fonte: mir.com.my

The Canon T70 is Canon's first clunky 1984 attempt at the computerized cameras of tomorrow. Canon's sales brochures trumpeted "Photography Enters the Computer Age," and bragged of the T70's advanced onboard computer (OBC). The T70's OBC has an 8-bit custom microcomputer with 1,200 commands! It has 12 x 2 kilobytes of ROM and 8 x 16 bytes of RAM.

The T70, along with the T50, began the computerized camera era for Canon. The T70 is among Canon's last manual-focus cameras. Canon started with a clean slate when they came out with the EOS autofocus cameras.

The T70 may be primitive and cryptic compared to modern cameras, but used by itself, it does what it needs to with simplicity. I could shoot forever with this and miss very little, in fact, my biggest complaint is that the meter turns off the instant you remove your finger from the shutter: there is no "hang time" like modern cameras. Since the finder only reads the aperture, if you want to read the shutter speed, you have to keep holding the shutter button while you look at the top LCD without moving the camera!

It works only with Canon's manual-focus FD lenses. It may as well be Russian as far as compatibility with anything autofocus, EOS or digital from Canon. You easily can shoot it digitally.

See the big black grip on the left? That's the battery holder and internal motor drive. Rewind is also motorized-only.

I prefer this to the AE-1 or F1n for most shooting because it has Program mode, and a total of three variations of Program!

Laugh all you want, but it has a much bigger and better finder than any of Canon's amateur digital cameras of today like the 50D.

Fonte: kenrockwell.com

Especificações

Data input into the T70's microprocessor brain give not one but three daylight programmed exposure modes. These select the most appropriate aperture/shutter speed combination for the lighting and the lens in use: wide-angle, standard or telephoto. Flash photography is also fully programmed. For fast-paced action, there's Shutter-Priority AE and when the situation demands, Manual override.
Another feature that makes the T70 really two cameras in one was its dual metering. Flick a switch to select either Centerweighted average or Selective Area metering.
Although the T70 was a quantum advance in camera technology than the first T-series model, the all programmed-AE-only T-50, the basic concept of the T series model remains - advanced doesn't mean complicated, simplicity in control and operation are the order of the day. The T70 was delightfully simple to use. With a streamlined compact design.
Gone was the tradittional shutter speed dial where the selection has been replaced with push button operations, no more manual film advance lever which was replaced with a built-in integral motor for automatic film advance and even rewind. And in another departure from the conventional, a large LCD panel displays all essential information. LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) was used because it is highly power efficient than LEDs, consumes only 1/10000 power of equivalent of LEDs. Only two AA-size alkaline manganese batteries are required to power all the camera's automatic functions.
Another significant breakthrough with the T-series was a new dedicated accessory, the Command Back 70, which performs like a command centre, like recording data on the film automatically and it will even instruct the camera to take pictures - regular shots and timed exposures - at set intervals. It was a vast improvement over the earlier T50 which was not designed to accept a databack. Naturally, the T70 also accepts the full line of FD lenses and accessories. The T70 was designed and aimed more directly at serious amateurs and professionals alike.

8 Exposure Modes 
  • Standard Program
  • Wide Program
  • Tele Program
  • Shutter-priority AE
  • Programmed Flash
  • Electronic Flash AE
  • Manual
  • Stopped-down AE
Other interesting features like a sleek profile, superb balance and handling. Power-saving design. Reliability-enhancing features. System accessories including multipurpose Command Back 70 and programmed Speedlite 277T. Programmed Versatility The T70 is programmed for every conceivable photographic situation. The Program AE was a great improvement over the earlier versions used in the multimode Canon A-1 or the simpler AE-1 Program, as it has more options to fine tune exposures.

Fonte: mir.com.my

Multiple Program AE is excellent. There are three program modes. The usual mode matches the usual combinations: f/2.8 @ 1/30, f/8 @ 1/250, etc. There is a WIDE PROGRAM mode which shifts to apertures two stops smaller. The TELE mode optimizes for fast shutter speeds with a different curve. I prefer these to my infinitely shiftable modern cameras because these are the three programs I need. With modern cameras, I'm constantly piddling around to get to just these three modes.

Dual Metering System is Partial and Average metering. The Partial setting uses just the central 12mm spot and locks the exposure. The Average setting uses the entire finder, minus the edges, and doesn't lock the exposure.

Compatibility

Canon FD (manual focus) lenses.

Optimized for Canon's 277T flash.

Exposure Modes: Program (Normal and two variations: Wide and Tele), Shutter-priority (Tv) and Manual. No Aperture-priority (Av).

Finder: Big, bright pentaprism that puts Canon's 1.6x digital cameras to shame. Central split-image rangefinder surrounded by microprism and then bright ground glass. 0.85x magnification (50mm), 92% coverage. Yes, a 1.6x digital camera like the 40D might be rated at 0.95x magnification and 95% coverage, but that's 95% coverage of only 62% (1/1.6x) as much as a full-frame T70!

Finder read-outs: Four (count 'em) single LEDs: P for program mode. * for AEL. Bolt for flash ready. M for manual exposure. Two whole digits of 7-segment LEDs to read-out f/stops. In stopped-down AE mode (only usable with uncoupled lenses), these two digits read shutter speed. Since there are only two digits, 1/125 ~ 1/350 is indicated by "HL" and 1/500 ~ 1/1,000 is shown with "HH." Laugh all you want, but even the T70 is smart enough to vary the brightness of the LEDs for easy reading in any light.

Depth-of-Field Preview: NONE.

Shutter: 1/1,000 ~ 2 seconds and Bulb. Vertical metal focal plane. Bulb mode counts seconds on the dark top LCD up to 30. After 30 seconds, it starts counting up again from 0 and adds one of the three film motion dashes. If you add 30 for each dash, the display reads up to 120 seconds! Too bad there's no conventional cable release socket.

Flash Sync: 1/90. Hot shoe.

Frame Rate: 0.7 FPS; just hold down the shutter button.

Film Rewind: By motor; manual start. I measure 27 seconds for a 36-exposure roll.

ISO: 12 - 1,600.

Metering: Average (ignores only the edges) and Partial: 12mm center-weighted. Works EV 1 ~ 19 at ISO 100 with an f/1.4 lens.

Power: Two AAs: alkaline, Ni-Cd and even those crappy "heavy duty" ones you can find in any third-world tienda. Rated 40 rolls of 36 exposure with alkalines at 20ºC. Manual says there's a CR-1220 or BR-1225 lithium to remember the frame counter setting and ISO if you change the AAs, and that it needs to be changed every 5 years. In 2008, my T70 still works fine.

Size: 5-15/16 x 3-1/2 x 1-7/8" (151 x 89 x 48mm), rated.

Weight: 19.772 oz (560.6g), measured, with batteries but without lens, film or strap.

Modelo

A minha tem o n.º de série 1713027 e uma lente com o n.º 31671.

Sítios de referência

kenrockwell.com

mir.com.my

Manual

Manual em inglês

Baterias

2 baterias AA

Filme

Fotografias tiradas com esta máquina

Sample 1 - Canon T70

Sample 2 - Canon T70

Sample 3 - Canon T70